Protein is an essential addition to any healthy diet and can help aid in weight loss but many of the protein packed “health” snacks in your super market are actually full of harmful ingredients like high fructose corn syrup and non-organic soy. While convenient for snacking on the go, these bars, powders and meal replacements can do more harm than good.
Deciphering these nutrition labels can be a challenge- especially when they read more like a foreign language than a list of ingredients. To help you make a healthier decision the next time you need a pick me up in a pinch, we’ve translated these labels and rounded up some of the least healthy protein bars on the market.
Read on to find out the 5 bars to avoid and why.
- Luna Bar: The first ingredient (which makes up the highest percentage of ingredients) in a Luna bar is non-organic, highly processed “soy protein isolate”. This controversial ingredient presents risks like metal and pesticide contamination. As a bar made specifically for women, this ingredient is even more worrisome as it has been linked to increasing the risk of breast cancer.
- Clif Bar: Luna’s big brother isn’t any healthier. Clif bars contain the same non-organic soy as Luna and nearly double the sugar. They also don’t contain enough protein and fiber to truly qualify as a meal replacement.
- ZonePerfect Bar: Similar to the Clif family, these bars are packed with over processed soy. The nutrition facts look more like a novel than a list of ingredients. Hiding in this scroll is a significant amount of refined sugars like high-fructose corn syrup.
- ThinkThin Bar: Sure, this bar has an impressive amount of protein and 0 g of sugar but dig a little deeper into this label and you’ll find 10+ grams of sugar alcohols. Studies have shown that certain sugar alcohols cause stomach and abdominal pain- aka gas. No thank you!
- Questbar: Another high protein, low sugar product that’s actually full of chemicals and artificial sweeteners. With claims of real cookies & cream we’re more than a little leery of the “natural flavors” lurking in these bars…
Part of our mission at Good Zebra is “Black + White [nothing shady]”. We’ve taken out all of the harmful ingredients that we found in “nutrition” bars like the ones listed above, creating a snack that’s high in complete proteins and free of refined sugars and artificial ingredients and preservatives. Our ingredients are the main attraction and we’re proud to show off our labels.
Take a peak for yourself!
INGREDIENTS: ORGANIC WHEAT FLOUR, ORGANIC COCONUT PALM SUGAR, PALM OIL, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, WATER, DRIED EGG WHITES, ORGANIC PEA PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ORGANIC HONEY, NATURAL FLAVORS, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, AMMONIUM BICARBONATE), SALT, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN
CONTAINS: WHEAT, MILK, EGG, COCONUT
MAY CONTAIN PEANUT, ALMOND, CASHEW, SOY